[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 6 16:57:34 MST 2009

I think this IS our rainy day.  Now let's see what we saved... ;)

----

Problem is, too many didn't and now they want Uncle Sam (the rest of us) to
come and save them.

Even more entertaining, they're willing to break down the walls between
private enterprise and government control to do it.  Hand our money (taxes)
to corporations to "bail them out" when they had failing business models for
years, and then allow the government to start messing with things like
private employment contracts. (yeah, I don't like it that executive pay is
orders of magnitude higher than the workers in those companies, but the
SHAREHOLDERS of those companies are supposed to regulate that, along with
the Board, NOT the government). right up until the point when the government
handed them money.  Now only the government officials can fly on the
corporate jets, at my expense, and the people who earned their jets (while
the government shirked their regulatory duties for at least four different
President's terms) can't...?  What does this do to good American companies
like Cessna, Piper, Boeing, etc?  Seen the newspapers in Kansas City lately?
(Cessna laid off over 4000, perhaps 6000.)

I'm tellin' ya, this is just a shell game. moving the debt from the idiots
who should suffer from it, to everyone, to try to slow down the inevitable
return to a society that feels living under $10's of thousands of dollars of
unsecured debt, and $100's of thousands of dollars of not-so-secured debt,
is an inappropriate way to live.

Go ahead, I say to those who cheer this whole thing -- spend money and see
if that erases debt. (of course it can't).  Once that fails (again), start
thinking about living within your means again someday.

Cash and carry for eight years, and planning to stay that way for the rest
of my life, even if it requires two jobs.

Nate

(Other than my very conservative 5.25% fixed mortgage that isn't likely to
become a negative on any dumb bank's balance sheet, because *I* work hard to
make sure it doesn't. my wife's student loan which is the only type of debt
you can erase at your death - hey, I don't make the rules, but it makes no
sense to pay it off any sooner than necessary other than interest, which is
locked at an artificially low rate also, not variable - and a final tiny bit
of unsecured debt I have been paying off for a decade that I never should
have had, but is also locked at a very low rate by shopping around for
someone willing to take what they could get from me instead of raping me
blind.  It'll be gone this year.  YAY!  Hang on to your ass if you have
unsecured credit card debt, the bank lobbyists are asking for a 33% usury
rate!  The banks ALWAYS get paid back, and will get that 33% as soon as
inflation starts, perhaps higher.  I'll be looking to invest in them around
that time, with all of their government limits on executive pay, and high
interest rates - it should be a good time to be a shareholder!  We all have
the ability to have "Hope and Change". Change your opinion of how much you
"need", and then you don't have to "hope" you have a way to pay for your
life or beg the government to do so.  Fiscal responsibility = true Freedom.)