[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 6 22:09:31 MST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> We The People, in consituting this nation, ceded certain powers to the
> government, and gave it jobs to do. Defending the borders is one such
> job. However, that does not confer a right. Perhaps an entitlement,
> but
> not a right.

Totally understand and agreed, I just used the term "right" since
right now, today -- there's an expectation (Miranda "Rights") that the
court will appoint a defense attorney for you.  Society could choose
to change that, but for now... I consider it a "right"... with
quotation marks.

> Consider, if giving the government a job can result in something
> becoming
> a right, then if we foolishly decide the government should provide or
> "pay for" health care, then suddenly health care becomes a right. Same
> thing for "everyone has a right to a job" or housing, or pet
> salamanders.

Agreed.  Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness.  No one promised
that you'll BE happy.  That one comes easier if you stop worrying
about what others owe you and go make your own life...

> Also, the gentlemen who founded this country were, for the most part,
> extremely distrustful of standing armies. The idea was that the
> Congress
> would have the power to call upon the militia when necessary. So,
> defense
> of country was more of a duty upon all able-bodied men.

Totally understand.  I knew you'd keep us straight on the "standing
Army" part of things, which is why I used the phrase.  It would perk
up the ears of the better Constitutional scholars in the discussion
here.  I figure again, like the defense attorney, that a standing army
is something people PROBABLY right now in our history believe is a
"right", also.  Semantics and maybe unfortunately, the Constitution
aside...

Thanks for keepin' it real, Jed.

Nate