[clue-talk] The stimulus bill

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 6 22:30:22 MST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Collins Richey wrote:

> You missed Jed's point entirely. It's not a matter of the banks
> feeling that they could get away with it. They were actively
> encouraged (if not required) to ignore the ability to pay back loans
> by Freddie and Fannie and the Barney Frank types in Congress. The
> "proper" risk assessment was the desire to get a loan, not the ability
> to pay back the loan.

I agree with the above assessment, but the real world is a touch more
complex than that.  The other major factor was a veritable flood of
foreign investment money pouring into the U.S. economy looking for
things to invest in.  Bankers were "greedy" in that they all wanted
that investment money, and would lower standards on mortgage loans to
get it.

The entire system is still quite plugged up with tronches of tronches
of mortgages (little pieces of hundreds of mortgages, turned into an
investment, and then little pieces of those turned into a completely
different investment instrument) that no one can figure out what
they're worth.  Warren Buffet denounced these loudly, numerous times,
and said he wouldn't buy anything he couldn't put a real price on.

The above leads to the complex discussion of "mark to market" which
just gets worse.

So there were some "greedy" bankers doing what bankers do -- take
investors money and try to invest it in something low-risk, but the so-
called "low-risk" on all of these investments came due in a firestorm
of housing market declines, all at once.

The foreign investors have had it handed to them in the shorts for not
paying attention to what they were buying, and the bankers also lost
billions -- so this insanity did attempt to self-correct to some
extent... but the inability to even figure out who holds a particular
tronche of mortgages, and the disparity of loss in these tronches
between small investors and large ones when someone defaults on a
single real mortgage, means that no underwriter will let go of them
and let some of the worst debt get resold at market value today.  They
just sit on it and hope and wait.

The Chinese are ultra-pissed about the money they lost in the U.S.
market.  Their reaction to the bailouts has been summarized pretty
well as, "WTF?!"  They know we're devaluing their investments by
basically printing money.

And then that leads us back to politics and politicians, and a lack of
a well-defined foreign policy...

Nate