[clue-talk] Richard Stallman Slams OLPC for Switching to Windows - Webmonkey

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Feb 7 14:20:57 MST 2009

On Feb 7, 2009, at 12:09 PM, David Maddox wrote:

> That being said, sounds like more branded exploitation of those who
> don´t have the defense of consumer cynicism, a suggestion that OLPC
> could learn from the microfinance folks, who look more at the social
> impact of their incursions into societies rather than being
> evangelists for our ´way of life´ and all the strings attached.

One could argue that exact same point against Stallman's view of the
world.

There's also no "defense" against "utopian ideals" of the Stallman
(GPL) religion, which leads many people to believe that Linux will
somehow surpass the commercial products out there.  (Other than being
smart about it, just like the "defense of consumer cynicism".
Frankly, BOTH groups are trying to sell you something in their
messages, one just isn't Free-as-in-Beer and the other is.  You still
"pay" for Linux, in time spent figuring out arcane silliness in
applications developed with the developer and not the end-user in
mind, and the time to learn a twenty year old command-line user
interface, if you really want to know your computer tools.  All that
time, isn't free.)

Linux on the desktop, is not a panacea of wonderful experiences for
"average" computer users -- it's still busy making a system that makes
sense for people like you and me who "get" how Unix works -- but
that's not the general public.

And... as far as "evangelists for our 'way of life'"!  Whoa there...
Stallman's virtually a Pastoral figure amongst the "enlightened".
Free Software is even called a "movement", like a religion.

I'm not saying I personally am making this argument, just pointing out
the (perhaps glaringly) obvious, that Stallman and his legions of
zealouts often come across as the exact same things you just mentioned
above...

Nate