[clue-talk] NX presentation

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Jan 11 01:58:34 MST 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:53 AM, David Rudder wrote:

> -David Rutter
> aka David Ruder
> aka David Radner

You should see how people mangle MY last name... (GRIN)... it
originally should have no "e" and an Umlaut over the U.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_(diacritic) - Wow, that's more
info about Umlauts than I ever wanted to know...

A friend with a Germanic last name legally changed his with a similar
umlaut removal (over an O) back legally a few years ago, and reports
that MOST companies now properly support the umlaut and his bills come
with his proper legal name printed on them.

He said one of the hardest to get right was the title on his house.
Some title companies don't seem to have discovered Unicode yet.  Most
companies screw it up at least three times before they get it right,
if you're not signing up online and putting the correct character in
yourself, he also informs me.

Of course, if you change it you should probably pronounce the name
correctly, too... and that'd throw people for a whole new loop.  Same
with my friend, but his name is a little easier to pronounce with the
umlaut than mine.

I think I'll leave well enough alone... :-)

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com