[clue-talk] Favorite Internet Radio?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 12:34:34 MST 2009

On 01-18 12:06, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Companion thread to my tech question about players.
>
> What do you like for streaming media sources? I hit Radio Paradise on
> occassion. When I do web searches for internet radio, I mostly get sites
> that want to pop up a web-based player. I'm looking for sites that have
> listings of direct streaming URLs. Kinda like this:
>
>   http://www.radioparadise.com/content.php?name=Listen
>
> But I'd like to get some Jazz, Classical, Classic Rock, maybe even some
> alternative, grunge, even metal sometimes.
>
> Anyone have some cool stuff?

I love Soma FM, especially the Doomed channel around Halloween. I often have
this playing in the days/weeks in the run up to Halloween. Perfect. Of
course, if you are a goth, as Ministry sings, "Every Day is Halloween". :)

Here is the Doomed channel:

http://somafm.com/play/doomed

They have other channels though I think I've only checked out the drone one.
What often happens when I listen to internet radio is that I hear a track
and I want to hear the entire album and/or other tracks from same artist,
and I often go do that.

My tastes generally run to the extremely eclectic - mostly lots and lots of
electronica, lately but, for example, I'm listening to Beck at the moment
(and before that Uncle Tupelo, 13th Floor Elevators, Black Mountain and
Black Francis). I had a co-worker tell me I listen to "weird music", but my
response is that I just like what I consider "good music" (who doesn't?),
and it doesn't matter if it's mainstream or not. Most people tend to confine
themselves to what they think everyone else listens to. I won't rule that
out, but I certainly won't limit myself to it, either.

I'm reading 1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die, so I'm thinking my
playlist is about to get even more eclectic and/or I'm going to listen to
things I haven't listened to in a while.

Another huge music fan I know told me about a few land radio stations, too.
One I even programmed into my car radio, but often forgot to listen to it.
Anyway, their playlist seemed to approximate an Internet radio, but for
"classic rock". And they dived deep in an artists' collection, too. I was
quite pleasantly surprised. Maybe land radio is getting the wake-up call,
that when you have lots and lots of competition: between podcasts, satellite
radio, and internet radio, going for the same ol', same ol' isn't going to
work so well to get ratings. Anyway, one of them got bought by someone else
and the format changed. Oh well. But if I remember the other, I'll try to
post it here.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
"Here at the Phone Company, we serve all kinds of people; from
Presidents and Kings to the scum of the earth ..."