[clue-talk] little survey

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Wed Jun 3 09:24:17 MDT 2009

dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a little informal survey about the Linux preferences of CLUE
> members.
>
> 1. Which distro do you use?
Fedora. I have a mix of versions.  I have also installed MythBuntu, an
Ubuntu based MythTV distribution, but it's not working so I'm going to
return to Fedora when I have the chance.

> 2. Which desktop do you use?  KDE3, KDE4, Gnome, other?
Gnome

> 3. How many of your computers run Linux?
4 Intel desktops
1 Android phone
1 Nokia N800

> 4. Do other family members use Linux?
My wife uses a Linux desktop.  All of us use the Nokia and my G1.

> 5. Do you use Linux exclusively at home?
We have a Windows box for gaming and the occasional Windows-only website.

> 6. Are you fortunate enough to use Linux at work?
Fortunate my ass!  I worked for this!

> 7. Do you build your own Linux?  (Yes, a few of us are masochistic
> enough to do so! :)    )
I used to, but I don't anymore.  Fedora does a better job than me.

> 8. How experienced are you with Linux?
I started in 1994.  I'd say I'm at "expert" but not "guru" level.  I've
never done real kernel hacking, but I can setup routing, cron, rsync,
whatever.  I'm probably the best Linux admin you'll find in the software
development side of the business, but most real admins would smoke me in
a head-to-head.