[clue-talk] little survey

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Jun 3 16:51:31 MDT 2009

dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a little informal survey about the Linux preferences of CLUE
> members.
>
> 1. Which distro do you use?
CentOS 5.x for now

> 2. Which desktop do you use?  KDE3, KDE4, Gnome, other?
Microsoft Windows window manager ha ha.  When in a Linux GUI I like
Gnome better.

> 3. How many of your computers run Linux?
All servers, which make up about 50% of the "computer" population.

> 4. Do other family members use Linux?
Not for a desktop, but all the time because all the servers and network
stuff are Linux

> 5. Do you use Linux exclusively at home?
No, but define "use" - a Linux system is involved for just about
everything I do

> 6. Are you fortunate enough to use Linux at work?
Yes,  I introduced Linux to my employer/company 11 years ago

> 7. Do you build your own Linux?  (Yes, a few of us are masochistic
> enough to do so! :)    )
All my kernels are custom.  I have made my own distros a couple of times
in the past but it is too damn much work.  Maybe if I became a yum/RPM
guru or something it might be easier.

> 8. How experienced are you with Linux?
Very (15 years)