[clue-talk] survey results

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon Jun 15 07:42:31 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Collins Richey" <crichey at gmail.com>
To: "CLUE talk" <clue-talk at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 5:50:21 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-talk] survey results

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Dennis J
Perkins<dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote:
> Here are the results. There was more variety in the answers than I
> expected. Don't trust surveys.
>
> Number of replies: 17
>
> Which distro? Some people use more than one.
>

> Kubuntu 1
> Ubuntu 9
> Xubuntu 1

That confirms my suspicions. Almost everyone I talk to at meetings and
installfests is running some flavor of *buntu. The rest of us are just
one-offs.

--
Collins Richey

I think a lot of people don't explore distros any more. Most of my exploring of distros occurred when I started using Linux. Ubuntu gives most people what they need, so they don't look any further.

I expected a few Fedoras in the survey. It sounds like their last two releases were pretty good.

A couple of people said that they had used Gentoo at one time. I don't know why they left. Too much work? Or disillusioned with the leadership?

I do have Ubuntu on one computer but I will probably replace it with Arch Linux. Arch requires more initial work than many other distros, and adding some packages might require just a bit more work because Arch uses a ports-like system for a lot of packages.