[clue-talk] survey results

Bruce Ediger bediger at inlumineconsulting.com
Mon Jun 15 19:04:24 MDT 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Jed S. Baer wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:16:24 -0600 (MDT)
> Bruce Ediger wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>>
>>> NOS (Control Data Cyber)
>>
>> Yipes, a Truly Awful Operating System!
>>
>> The only OS worse than NOS: it's successor, NOS/VE.  NOS/VE was a huge
>> step backwards.  It's amazing that CDC stayed in business as long as it
>> did.
>
> Oh, it probably was the VE. Uh, 1985-ish? I actually got very good at
> writing COBOL very quickly in their line editor. (Don't snicker, I wrote

I think they had 2, at least at the site I worked: "SENATOR" and "XEDIT".
Probably not the "XEDIT" of IBM fame, though.

I don't think NOS/VE came out until 1991 or so - in '86, it was nearly
all NOS, with a few remaining NOS/BE and KRONOS sites.

> pretty good with the full-screen editor (aptly named 'FSE' as I recall),
> but it was pretty clunky. But that was near the end of my run at USBR.

FSE was far better than "EDIT_FILE" or "EDIF" as it was fondly abbreviated.

Still, NOS was quite horrible.  Even MS-DOS was better.