[clue-talk] Fedora 11 suxxor/roxxor?

Charles W Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 22 13:47:49 MDT 2009

David,

OK, since I asked you to come to CLUE-talk, I'd better chime in.

Recently, I was disappointed by Ubuntu's automatic upgrade of my
computer from "Hardy" to "Jaunty".  It seems that "Jaunty" is supposedly
an x64 release, while my System76 box is i386.  Something in
"Jaunty"/Firefox 3.0 is not ready for prime time--there are frequent
hangs of the machine, which can only be overcome by a manual power-off.
So, I was testing several live CDs in the hopes of finding something
more compatible/likeable.

My major problem with Fedora 11 is with root user versus test user
security.  Even though the Fedora features page pumps the idea of being
able to install the OS on a usb thumb drive, it appears that I can't use
"liveusb-creator" as a tester, even via sudo.  Therefore, I would have
to install to my hard drive to install it to the thumb drive.  BTW, I
used unetbootin to install the "Live CD" to my thumb drive from the iso
I downloaded with "Jaunty".

Not being able to install the tools I like to work with makes it
impossible for me to evaluate Fedora 11 in comparison to Linux Mint or
Knoppix.  I did note, though, that Fedora identified my HP L7590
"out-of-the-box", unlike those other systems.

That's enough, for now.  I'm still testing.

David L. Willson wrote:
> Here I am.  If you want to take issue with, or debate, Fedora's purity or Free-ness, as mentioned in my posting to CLUE-tech, please begin.  I didn't think I'd overstated the case, but I'm certainly willing to hear otherwise.
>
> David L. Willson
> Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
> MCT, MCSE, Linux+
> tel://720.333.LANS