[clue-talk] Send your ideas to Obama

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu May 7 12:34:27 MDT 2009

On 05-06 09:38, David L. Willson wrote:

> How do we keep politics out of science, when science is no longer
> privately funded?  I have an idea:  Get government out of the business of
> funding research.  Let the companies do their own funding, ~then~ politics
> and science will be separate.  Until then, get used to "politicized
> everything", because somehow, we got the idea that government money is
> free money, and that government should do more than provide an army and
> roads.  Then too, we have some understanding that we are responsible for
> deciding how all that money gets spent, so we shout about it.  Bad?  Yes.
> Should we stop?  No, not until we stop sending it in.  We should stop
> spending it twice, though.  That's really, really bad.

I would think that most corporations would (wisely, if they want to protect
their economic interests) would contest any such thing.

After all, there is a lot of government funded research that
resulted/results/will result in private orgs making bundles and bundles of
money. If they had to fund all that themselves, it wouldn't have necessarily
happened.

Also, can you imagine how terrible the Internet would be if it was built by
a private tyranny? I think one only has to look at the situation in cell
phones to get an idea...or CompuServe/Prodigy/etc.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funeral.
		-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"