[clue-talk] OT: Request to borrow Mac OS 10.5.X install disc

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 22 02:05:48 MDT 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009 01:17:14 -0600, "Mike Staver" <staver at fimble.com>
said:
> Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll let you know what I end up
> deciding.  The machine I have now has 10.5 on it, on a 120 gig drive.  I
> see I can get a 500 GB drive from newegg for $89, so now I'm thinking
> I'll do that before bothering with a reinstall.

Do it.  You'll want the mega-disk-space if you do any virtualization of
other OS's.  Also max out the RAM.

Also invest in a similar sized external USB drive and point Time Machine
at it.

Automated backups are a wonderful thing, and an added bonus I didn't
know until we bought my wife a new iMac a few months ago, is that Apples
machine "migration" software is flawless... plugged the wife's Time
Machine drive in, waited 30 minutes, and everything including all her
applications was set up properly... on her new machine.  It even copied
the older versions of Apple apps onto the machine but was smart enough
NOT to overwrite the new iLife suite's applications.  Launched those,
they properly imported the data from the older versions, and I went to
bed early that night, after making sure I had a whole evening to
dedicate to migrating her from one machine to another.

It was so painless, I might just forget how to use tar.  LOL!

Sorry, I know it's a Linux list, but I just had to share.  OSX is what
desktop Unix SHOULD be.  Sad maybe that it's not 100% open, but hell...
if I can get things done and not screw around with it... I'm an awfully
happy camper.  A six-pack of Jolt and all-nighters just don't cut it for
this "old guy" anymore, unless I'm building something interesting, or
working on a presentation or something about something new/interesting.
Rebuilding machines from bare metal is an utter waste of time, these
days... unless I'm at work and getting paid for it.  :-)

Virtualization, machine images... all this new fun stuff makes life
better.  Still having a great time with computers, but not wasting so
much of it fighting with the desktop... the Mac just "stays out of my
way" most of the time, and does its job.  Not the cheapest machines I
ever bought, but worth it if you're past that stage where bare metal
migration of Linux machines to new hardware is "interesting"...

Nate
--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com