[clue-talk] Steal this film

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Nov 25 08:56:17 MST 2009

> I swore off movie, music, and software piracy 3 years ago.  If it ain't
> Free, it's probably too expensive.

I am somewhere in between.   If I buy it on DVD, I have no problem ripping
the DVD to play on my media player, even if it means cracking CSS.   I
have no problem bypassing the copy protection on a CD to rip it to the
computer, so I can play it streaming to the living room, or put it on my
media player, or give the kids a copy of one of their CD's so they don't
scratch and wreck an original.

I do things that would be illegal under DMCA, but fine under fair use.   I
do not give away or sell copies.  If I get rid of the original, I get rid
of the copies, etc.  I don't download things I don't own originals of.  I
hope they don't come after me, but if they do, maybe I can use the trial
to get fair use back into the realm of possibilities for others.