[clue-talk] can't make this stuff up, folks...

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Fri Oct 16 18:58:32 MDT 2009

> That's not too surprising given a few facts.
>
> 1. RHEL4 is now ancient and probably not getting much attention.
> 2. RedHat is now a server company only grudgingly supporting desktop
> systems that need a mouse.
> 3. You can scarcely buy a PS2 mouse anymore, so why bother testing.
> 4. They've done just as well with RHEL5. Somewhere between base 5 and
> 5.3 (or was it 5.4?), they managed to break LDAP support totally, so
> we had to delay adoption until the next dot release.
> 6. Even 5.4 won't install on some newer HP desktops (NIC problem).
>
> So, if you love aging software or your company has proprietary
> products that only run on certain RedHat releases (my company in both
> cases), at least you can rely on RedHat to supply delayed support or
> the caveat "we don't support that" when something breaks. But the
> legal beagles love it because you have a (worthless) support contract.
>
> And, of course, you can't use a current released version of PHP or
> Apache or MySQL without doing major RPM surgery.

We are getting bit by the LDAP issue in rHELL 5.x right now.  The issue is
with the inclusion of unstable version of Berkely DB 4.3.  One of our older
LDAP server hardware went end of support and pretty close to end of life.
The admin working to migrate that machine to a VM.  He had to revert to
rHELL 4.7 in order to even get openLDAP running with our schema files needed
to support AIX and some applications.

Good thing they spend so much time vetting the software included in the
official releases of rHELL and don't put anything "B" leading edge in the
"enterprise" distribution.

Charlie
--

Jonathan Swift<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html>
- "May you live every day of your life."