[clue-talk] Windows 7 x64 Compatible GPU

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri Feb 5 19:42:44 MST 2010

I was hoping some cluebie out there would be willing to make a trade with
me.  I was asked to fix a computer yesterday for a family member. It's one
I had built in the past, and the motherboard flaked out yesterday due to
some bulging capacitors.  At least I'm blaming the bad caps for now - I
don't see anything else that would cause the problem.  I had an older
board laying around, a Socket 754 AMD board with an AGP slot.  I had some
DDR 400 memory laying around, and amazingly, a compatible CPU.  So, I gave
them this older board, memory, and CPU. I also had a Geforce 2 MX GPU to
throw in.  They don't mind the slight speed decrease they will get from
going back in hardware a bit, since they use the machine for typing papers
and doing research online, email, facebook, etc.

The problem I have is that they were running Windows 7 x64.  As it turns
out, the Geforce 2 MX GPU I used is no longer supported by M$ / Nvidia.  I
realize it's not going to be a gaming card - but seriouly, how hard would
it be for Nvidia to throw out a new driver? I'm confident they won't - so
that leaves me with the option of finding another GPU.  This motherboard
has an AGP 8x slot, no PCI Express.  I was hoping I could trade somebody
on the list for a Geforce 7 or higher AGP card, or a supported ATI card
that will work with Win 7 x64.  I have the following items I could trade
for it:

Used Blackberry 8703e for Sprint
Used Blackberry 7100t for Tmobile
Used 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM (2x 1gig sticks)
Used Various computer speakers, powered sub, etc
Used 120 gig EIDE hard drive
Used AMD Athlon 64 3000, Socket 939 I think it is
A BUNCH of socket 7 AMD cpus, ranging from XP 1700+ to 2500+
AMD Athlon MP 1000 - I have 4 of these
Random bags of PC100 / PC133 memory
Random collection of sound cards

Please email me off list if you would be interested in swapping a card for
any of that stuff. Also, let me know if you're looking for anything and I
can see if I have it.  I'm just trying to get this on the cheap since it's
not my machine and I'm trying to avoid having them have to go out and buy
an AGP card since AGP is basically dead.