[clue-talk] Get involved: Google Fiber RFI

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sun Feb 14 09:46:54 MST 2010

<Disclaimer Section>
This is not to start a flame war on whose ISP is better than yours.  While I encourage comparison of services and friendly debate, I personally would like to see more options around Colorado as a whole (not just Denver Metro as well).
</Disclaimer Section>

As most have noticed in various internet news groups and sources like Slashdot, Google is wanting to experiment and dabble in the "fiber to home" arena.  As most of those who have lived in Colorado for a while (since before DSL was implemented in north Boulder myself, and then being still "just out of range" of it) I have noticed time and time again of other areas of the US getting "the nice toys" when it comes to broadband and high speed internet services such as WiMAX or Fiber to Home.  Even then Colorado has been left out a majority of the time.

Since most know that Qwest owns a majority if not all of the copper in Colorado, end users are limited here until Qwest decides to invest in its own infrastructure for "something better".

Since most know that Comcast is not in a big hurry to reach rural areas, end users are limited here.  We can thank some urban sprawl around Denver for helping Comcast lay down some cables to end users, but there are still some parts of Denver Metro that have not been brought "into the loop".

Since most know that cellular broadband while being "decent" in the metropolitan areas is "okay", it is not high speed internet.  When going into various mountain areas, the cellular broadband rivals a dial-up modem and first generation DSL connections.  If you can get connected of course.

Since most know about satellite dish related services down and up speeds in various weather situations...well hopefully you get the point. ;-)

>From Slasdot at the following URL:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/13/2221207/Pittsburgh-Seattle-Announce-Interest-In-Googles-Fiber-Trial

We see once again Seattle once to get such services after having WiMAX and other groups permit "Fiber To Home".  I suspect having the Pacific-Asian internet trunk as well as various large IT related firms in the area also makes a good pitch.  Colorado has quite a few of these as well as some good government based groups here as well.  Yet Colorado seems left out when it comes to "latest and greatest".

I would encourage those who are tired of the Qwest vs. Comcast vs. 'other' scenario of Colorado to go and put in a pitch for a local Colorado community via the following URL:
http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/options

Perhaps for once, Colorado can get something new instead of be envious of others and waiting on Qwest or Comcast to put into play better infrastructure to rival other major players.

FWIW.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court