[clue-talk] new processors

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 4 12:13:11 MST 2010

Quick note: Sorry, top-posted because I'm on a webmail interface right
now...

The speed difference between disk and everything else
(processor/RAM/video/etc) is being closed with SSD drives.  Still not
"100% ready for prime time" yet, looking over some of the errata on the
early drives, but... with a good brand name (meaning: Intel right now),
I'd trust one.

(Some of the others have had some lovely bugs in firmware.  Kinda makes
sense, Intel's a chip manufacturer and the hard drive manufacturers are
learning how to do that, in a way.)

Having seen a couple of machines with SSD's in them doing various tasks,
I can unequivocally state that the spinning hard disk platter for
anything other than mass storage, is dead.  It just doesn't know it yet.

My next personal laptop will have an SSD for the OS's and swap, for
sure... and the data for whatever e-mail and PIM type client software
I'm using will also go on it to speed those common applications up.

It's too big of a performance increase to ignore, from what I've seen.

--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com