[clue-talk] Benefits of SSDs : was new processors

Michael Irons michael.irons at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:55:31 MST 2010

> For those interested in SSDs, this a good article on the design and

current issues:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7590/1/

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7590/2/

Various comments from Ted Ts'o regarding performance, journaling,

alignment, etc:

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/category/computers/ssd/

David

Here are other great links for those interested in the more technical
reasons why/how ssds work, the issues they have and why:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=1
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

They are a little old, but they explains the fundamental problems.

I also agree with Nate said.  Once prices fall to into my budget range, I
will be buying one to replace my current platter despite the problems. The
platter is yesterdays tech.

Mike Irons