[clue-talk] robot girl

Louis Miller miller106c at comcast.net
Sat Jan 16 21:24:18 MST 2010

Hello,

        Anyone hear about Project Aiko? It is a bilingual (English and
Japanese) android created by a Taiwanese inventor in Canada. It can't
walk, and is in a wheelchair. The inventor is not focused on profit, so
I don't know where the project will go. I saw a video of it, and the guy
seems to have made some progress over other roboticists and
cyberneticists, by himself and with limited finances.

       One of Le Trung's focuses is putting nerve endings in, and
allowing the machine to sense pain, and programming it to respond to
pain and move the arm back and ask not to be touched.

         One of the leading Robotics designers is Rodney Brooks, an
Australian who works on projects with students at MIT. He is one of the
characters in Errol Morris's documentary "Fast, Cheap and Out of
Control." That documentary was from 1997. It's interesting to imagine
the progress that might have been made in that time. Rodney Brooks may
no longer be one of the leading Robotics designers in the world.

Louis