[clue-talk] I want a low cost X86 netbook or laptop

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:42:08 MDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM, YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote:
> I want the unit to be lightweight, under $200 , run Linux and do the following....
>
> have keyboard ( can be small and hard to use since I don't mind supplying an external mouse and keyboard ) , USB ports , small screen or none ( 7 inch is okay  I plan to connect external display ) , be lightweight , don't care about battery life.   Don't care about hard drive.
>
> Supply audio out
> Supply video out ( at least 800 by 600  more would be nice )
> Accept USB flash sticks
> Access the internet via ethernet
> X86 based
> Linux ( Debian ) will have apps to play video, firefox browser, open office , .....
>
> I want something very portable and light that will connect to displays and USB memory sticks to show work that has already been prepared.
> I plan to use projectors installed in classrooms or supply my own nano-projector.   I see that some projectors accept video through a USB port.  I don't require high performance video.
>
> Suggestions ?

The System76 Starling has all that, but I don't know about the
resolution of the video out. Send a message to the guys at System76.
It comes with Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I've installed several distros
via a USB DVD r/w device. There's a newer, more capable Starling than
the one I have.

I like to give my business to local Linux guys.

--
Collins Richey