[clue-talk] A dedicated CLUE forum?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Sep 30 07:33:55 MDT 2010

Folks:

I am guessing the web forum(s) would be a "step up" going to CLUE's web site at
http://www.cluedenver.org -> E-Mail Lists -> pick your desired list and then viewing threads via the Archives, correct?  I am guessing not many view the Mailman Archives to get the similar effect, though again it is not a "forum" style motif either. ;-)

Most web forums can be included to send out emails of postings (I have that for a few myself) or in Digest format (my personal preference to reduce email traffic).  However, I have also noticed that most LUGs around the US are still traditionally Mailman based as well.  So for those who want their email version as well, that point would be satisfied.

As for hosting elsewhere or not, this has been a touchy subject in the past.  The CLUE VPS is meant to be "the server" that has had roughly a 24/7 up time since things were moved over from "left over" physical hardware.  If it could be integrated into CLUE's web site, that would be probably the best solution.  Add in a few moderators as needed (e.g., CLUE-Jobs is moderated by Dennis and myself to make sure postings are appropriate), there we go.

I would like to see a few suggestions or even presentations of what could be used for a "web forum" style site before migrating to such potentially.  I would also like to see the issue of the Mailman Archives of CLUE be retained as well as part of the "requirements" to doing such.

Just my input.  Comments, questions, and such are welcomed of course.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA