[clue-tech] management requests

Roger Frank rfrank at linuxclassroom.org
Thu Aug 10 15:33:16 MDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Jim wrote:

> For a graphical mode (X window) login, you can disable the screen saver
> by giving the following command after X is running (xset is an X client
> and needs to connect to the X server, so watch your access controls):
> "xset s off"

It seemed that "xset s off" kept the screen saver from kicking in while I
was logged in, but once I logged out, the screen timed out again.  It's
as if there is some different program running before the user logs in
and kicks off KDE.

> I believe you can also give the "-v" command-line option to XFree86 to
> turn off the video blanking.  The program which started XFree86 (in your
> case, probably kdm or gdm or some other display manager) has a config
> file which contains the command-line it uses to start the X server.  You
> can usually find this in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

The one line in that file that is not a comment is:

	:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

I'm going to follow that path as I continue to track this down.  The other
piece that's caught my attention is the last line in inittab:

	x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Does prefdm replace xdm in this command. Where is "man prefdm" when
I need it.

I have to time share between getting the last tweaks on the Linux
systems and finding some boxes of old chalk.  The stuff we are getting
from the district is "dustless".  It doesn't flake dust because it's held
together with some sort of binder.  But that same stickiness makes the
chalk almost impossible to erase from a blackboard.  I wonder if I
can put a semester's worth of calculus on one blackboard?

--
Roger Frank
rfrank at linuxclassroom.org