[clue-tech] First Day of School

Roger Frank rfrank at linuxclassroom.org
Tue Aug 15 20:53:18 MDT 2000

Today was the first classroom login to Linux.  It went very well.  After
introducing Linux history, benefits and promise for the future, they
logged in.  We did a simple compile and then a larger compile
with a makefile.  I counted down so every student would hit the return
after typing make at the same instant.

The only annoyance is in where the desktop phyiscally sits on the
displayed screen.  It's way too far to the right.  We dual boot for
other classes, so the monitor control panel is set up to be right for
Windows.  Then in Linux, I adjust the positioning to be proper with
xvidtune.  That seems ok for a while, but it always seems to revert
to the old values after I log out or after I reboot.

How do I adjust, in software or with an editor, Linux such that
it places the desktop entirely on the visible part or the monitor?
Setting it with xvidtune doesn't "stick".

--
Roger Frank
rfrank at linuxclassroom.org