[clue-tech] automatic dial-up for web browsing

Brandon N bneill at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 15:08:18 MDT 2000

it's called diald, but I've never had much luck with it.
basically it creates a psuedo network device, and once it detects
traffic, it autodials and then sends the traffic out the ppp device.

Brandon

http://mail.yahoo.com/

> However, I was impressed with how, once the user entered a URL, the browser
> would dial-up the ISP, complete the connection, and load the page without
> further input from the user.  I'm suspect that the tools for doing this
> could be found in a standard Linux distribution, but I don't know
> specifically what tools might be able to do this.  Anybody know?

If you have a recent Linux distribution, chances are the pppd package (>2.3.7)
has the 'demand' keyword supported.  This will cause PPP not to dial when the
interface comes up, but will dial when there is traffic for it.  I used
this on my Linux firewall box (I have DSL now instead.)  There's also
a program called 'diald' that performs the same function.

Btw, that IOpener box can run Linux if you are determined enough, though more
recent versions of the IOpener have been 'fixed' to make it harder.  I bought
one of the early models after hearing about it on slashdot.org, and before
the company required a service contract.  See:
	http://www.linux-hacker.net/
for more info.  The I-Appliance Discussion Forum link should have more
recent discussion on loading Linux (or Windoze, NetBSD, etc.)

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net
http://www.nyx.net/~tpoindex/