[CLUE-Tech] JDK 1.3

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Fri Dec 1 11:05:43 MST 2000

Greetings.

It's been a while since I upgrade my Java Runtime Environment (JRE), so I
grabbed the latest from IBM.  I was using 1.1.8 from IBM, largely because the
font support is better out of the box and it was faster to the comparable 1.x
version from Blackdown.org.

If you are using an older version of JRE for applications like Moneydance, I
would recommend upgrading.  The new JVMs have significant improvements in
execution speed.

Another bonus for KDE 2 users - Konqueror uses the default JVM in your path,
so if you upgrade, Konqueror will use the new JVM.

I tried my main Java application - Moneydance and playing on-line chess using
a Java applet (www.chess.net/play/java) after I installed the JDK 1.3 version
from IBM (http://www.ibm.com/java/jdk/linux130/).  Much better load time and
execution speeds.

Check it out.