[CLUE-Tech] Changing view of ls command

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed Dec 6 12:31:03 MST 2000

Brandon N wrote:

> du -sk * is what I use
>
> I guess I should explain that, the s is for summary information
> (meaning that it tells you the total for all files under that
> directory, instead of actually listing all the directories under that
> one), and the k puts it in kilobytes instead of blocks.
> Brandon

However, I'd like to limit my search to just my home directory and not
the .files to show up, don't need them.  Based on Grants comment, I
would guess that I'm going to have to use sort to limit it to that.  I
was wondering if I could modify something to display the kilobytes in
the ls command, but alas, I can't.

A friend pointed out this program which I'll have to investigate

 http://freshmeat.net/projects/syswatch/
 <<[fm] syswatch.url>>

SysWatch is a CGI to display current information about your UNIX system.
It can display drive partitions, disk usage, as well as resource hogs,
and what current users are doing. It runs on Linux, *BSD, and Solaris.

Might be interesting.

Kevin