[CLUE-Tech] hdparm

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Wed Dec 20 21:23:28 MST 2000

Adjusting disk accesses with hdparm yield amazing benefits.
Initially, I was getting about 3 megabytes/sec reported
from a `hdparm -t /dev/hda` test.  I then did a
`hdparm -d 1 -m 1 -c 1 -X66 -k 1 /dev/hda` and I'm
getting 24 megabytes per second with the same test.  That's
8 times as fast.  How can this big a change not break
something?  Are there any tests that say  "yes it can
go that fast and yes it is reliable at that speed."?  That's
actually faster than I'm getting on my other system
(with same CPU/motherboard) with Ultra-wide SCSI.

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School, Colorado