[CLUE-Tech] almost there with Debian

Timothy C. Klein teece at hypermall.net
Sat Dec 23 16:11:23 MST 2000

Roger,

The file you are looking for is called:
/etc/network/interfaces

Here is a copy of what mine looks like (for two NICs).  This file will then
tell Debian to set up these interfaces at every boot up.

This one took me a while to figure out, too!  The debian-user mailing list is
helpful.

Tim

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 123.456.789.123
        netmask 255.255.255.192
        network  123.456.789.192
        broadcast 123.456.789.191
        gateway 123.456.789.129

# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255

On Friday 22 December 2000 23:11, you wrote:
> Since a recent CLUE meeting, I've been spending some
> time investigating Debian.  With Mandrake, it's all smooth
> and it just works, but I don't learn much about what's
> under the hood.  With Debian, it's not smooth and it
> doesn't just work, probably because of my ignorance.
> When I find out how to do something in Debian, it makes
> sense and I feel more in control.  I like that.  But finding
> out how to do something can be hard, even with
> on-line resources.
>
> For example, I want my Debian machine to participate
> on a network.I figured out to create a file /etc/modutils/network
> and put "alias eth0 3c59x" in it.  Rebooting and it finds the
> Ethernet card just fine.  But ping still gives me "network
> is unreachable".  I can manually start it with
> 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.9 netmask 255.255.255.0 up'
> and then everything is fine.  But I don't know where to
> put the ifconfig command in the startup scripts so I don't
> have to type it in.  I'm sure this is simple, but I can't
> figure it out.  I did a grep for ifconfig in /etc and its
> subdirectories and it's not in any scripts.
>
> I think I would like Debian if it didn't make me feel so
> technically inadequate.

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==