[CLUE-Tech] Java swing

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Mon Dec 25 20:00:53 MST 2000

On Friday 22 December 2000 07:12, Jeff wrote:
> Roger,
>
> It means that the path to swing jar is not in your $CLASSPATH env variable
>  - or -
> you actually do not have swing installed.
>
> I am guessing you do not have swing installed.
>
> As of Java 1.2, swing comes by default.  If you are running an older
> version of the JDK, then you have to download swing in a separate package.
>
> If I were you, I would grab Java 1.3 from either IBM or Sun (both have
> Linux versions) and you will be all set.

I downloaded j2sdk-1_3_0-linux.rpm (25 megabytes) from Sun.  I installed it.
I do a search with `find / -name swing.jar' and it's not anywhere.  Also I've
searched for examples of a correct $CLASSPATH line since if I do
`set | grep CLASSPATH' I get nothing.

The three lines in the .java file that maybe are hints as to what I don't
have are:
	import java.awt.*;
	import java.awt.event.*;
	import javax.swing.*;
Does this mean that I should have a file somewhere named javax.swing.*
and if so, wasn't it in the j2sdk?  I need this to work.

--
Roger Frank
Ponderosa High School, Colorado