[clue-tech] And now for something completely different

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Thu Jul 27 09:49:04 MDT 2000

Jim Ockers wrote:

> > One little annoyance: ... "maximal count" [and] ...
> > The ensuing fsck takes precious class time.
> > I'd like to figure out how to have a cron job do
> > the fsck at night and reset the counter that
> > otherwise triggers the unwelcomed fsck.
>
> The hated auto-fsck business wastes a lot of my time, also,
> until I remember to run tune2fs(8) to fix the parameters so
> they are less intrusive.

The sixth field in fstab is used by the fsck to determine
the order in which filesystem checks are done at boot time.
The root filesystem is usually specified with as number 1
and other filesystems as 2.  If this field is set to 0,
fsck will not check the filesystem.  I've never tried to
set all of the filesystems or even just the root filesystem
to zero.  If this is allowed it should do what you want.

Lynn