[clue-tech] And now for something completely different

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Sat Jul 29 02:45:29 MDT 2000

grant wrote:

> If you do tell fstab to never fsck it, you may want it to do
> so on a cron every once in a while anyway.

I've been thinking about this and wondering how it should be
done. You're not supposed to fsck mounted filesystems, right?
Is it safe to run e2fsck from single user mode?  If so, one
could set up a special runlevel which would act like single
user mode except that it would kick off an e2fsck process and
then return to the previous runlevel.  How does one remount
the root filesystem read-only?

Lynn