[clue-tech] Linux convert trouble

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Sat Jun 17 15:57:32 MDT 2000

Kevin,

The problem with the mouse might be caused either of the
following:

1) An incorrect X-Server.
2) An incorrect card/monitor combination being selected.
3) Attempting to drive the monitor at too high a resolution.

Alternatively, there might be a problem in the XF86Config file.
For example, my "Device" section looks like:

-------------
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "My Video Card"
    VendorName  "3Dfx"
    BoardName   "Voodoo3 3000"
    #VideoRam    16384
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection
-------------

Some mouse/menu/icon problems can be resolved by using one of the
following lines somewhere in this section.

      Option "sw_cursor"
      Option "no_bitblt"

This will need some experimentation. There are a bunch of README files
in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc directory which details these options for
various cards. You might also need to supply a Clocks line.

To solve the Virtual screen problem: The XF86Config file is generated
automatically with screen sizes in ascending order:

    "640x480' "800x600" "1024x768"...

When I finish configuring XFree, I always reverse the order so that the
highest resolution appears first. You will find the entries near the bottom
of the XF86Config file, for example:

-------------
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "Hitachi CM751"
    DefaultColorDepth 32
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth  8
        Modes  "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth  16
        Modes  "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth  32
        Modes  "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

If there is still a virtual screen, include the following line:

        Virtual 1024 768

after each of the Modes lines. This will limit the screen size to 1024,x768
even though the card/monitor might be able to go to 1280x1024 or even
1600x1200.

Match