[clue-tech] sticky bits

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Sat May 20 18:01:22 MDT 2000

Greetings.

I installed open SSH (1.2.3) this week and have worked out the kinks in
using sshd and ssh.  I noticed that /usr/bin/ssh has the following file
attributes (4755):

-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root       217972 May 20 17:35 ssh*

Can someone explain why ssh hangs (a non-root user) as 4755 but not
0755?  I have tried it both ways, and only the 0755 seems to work (i.e.,
prompt for password on remote machine and login if successful).

BTW - I am running like:  $ ssh my.remote.server -l my_user_name (as
non-root user).

Thanks
Jeff

--