[clue-tech] Viruses, Trojan Horses

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Wed May 24 08:37:59 MDT 2000

grant wrote:

> My nasty little thing simply displays the email addresses of those you
> communicate with.  It would be POSSIBLE to use this to send people mail,
> if they were dumb enough to run it.  This is a worm because it spreads
> across a network, and a trojan horse because the user has to be dum enough
> to run it.  The point is that most of the damage from the original Love
> Bug was from overloaded mailservers, not the files it deleted.  This has
> the same potential.
>
> Viruses are basically not an issue, but trojan horses always are.  You
> could always run something and wipe out your entire home directory.  Since
> you keep important things there, that would be bad.
>
> So..... The only real protecttion is backups.

So .... Linux can have a similar affect as ILOVEYOU virus IF: someone
runs it AND its written to wipe out your home directory, just not to the
extent as Winders stuff because of permissions and smarter users.  But,
potentially, Linux and Windows users are in roughly the same boat, it
just depends on your habits which determine whether you get infected or
not.

Kevin