[CLUE-Tech] Using LILO for multiple versions of Linux on same drive

Gary Every gevery at ecentral.com
Thu Nov 16 08:39:02 MST 2000

Here's the process.
Once both distros are installed, copy the second distro's vmlinuz file to
the first distro's /boot directory under a different name. (e.g. vmdebian)
In the /etc/lilo.conf file of the first distro, (should have a section that
looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14.50.0
	label=linux
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda2

Directly under that, add this section

image=/boot/vmdebian
	label=debian
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda3

and save the file.
Type "lilo" at the # prompt (must be root)
It should echo back:
Added linux*
Added debian

Reboot your machine, and when you see the boot: prompt, press the tab key
It will echo
linux	debian
Type debian at the prompt, and you'll boot into debian

That should work.