[CLUE-Tech] inetd configuration --> connection refused

Jeffery Cann jccann at home.com
Sun Oct 8 16:24:02 MDT 2000

Greetings.

On my slack 7.0 box, I am trying to set up the cvs server.  I am testing

out my changes to the /etc/inetd.conf file (I did restart inetd with
'killall -HUP inetd' command after making changes).  I am having
problems connecting to the cvs server, listening on port 2401, so at the

suggestion of the CVS manual, I took cvs out of the picture to make sure

that my inetd changes are working:

I added the following line to my /etc/inetd.conf file (and restarted
inetd):

    2401  stream  tcp  nowait  root /bin/echo echo hello

Now, I try the following telnet command.  It should run the echo program

and print 'hello':

    jumanji:/etc# telnet xxxx.yyyyy.xx.home.com 2401
    Trying 24.6.xxx.yyy...

I am on the @home cable network and I run an ipchains script for the
firewall.  I added the following to my firewall script.  This will set
up an input rule for port 2401.

    $IPCHAINS -A input -p tcp -s $REMOTENET -d $LOCALNET 2401 -j ACCEPT

As I receive the 'Connection refused' message, I thought that my
ipchains rule is the problem, so I flushed all my ipchains rules:

    $ ipchains -F input
    $ ipchains -F output

I know my firewall is down because I block telnet by default and after
flushing the ipchains rules, I can telnet to 'jumanji'.  However, the
telnet to port 2401 still does not work and I still get the 'Unable to
connect to remote host:  Connection refused'.

I am not clear why inetd will let me telnet to the default telnet port,
but I cannot connect to port 2401.  The same problem occurs when I try
to connect to the cvs server, so if I solve this problem, CVS should
work (after I put the cvs entry back into inetd.conf).

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

--