[CLUE-Tech] Slackware 7.1 and WPO2000 problems --- answer

John Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Mon Oct 23 00:58:19 MDT 2000

I've lost the original thread, so I am posting this as new.

I was having problems with WP Office 2000 running under Slackware 7.1.
This problem has been resolved by the following answer provided by a
reader in the Corel forum:

<<This looks like the well known and discussed glibc 2.1.3 compatability
problem. Many distributions, including Slack 7.1 and others are shipping
a buggy << glibc that causes WINE to break.  This is mentioned in the
Corel FAQ support document
(http://linux.corel.com/support/html/9400.htm) and has also << been
discussed many times on this list.  The solution is quite simple.  You
need to run WP from the command line, but you must first execute the <<
<< following line at the shell:

<< $ export LC_ALL=en
<< $ wordperfect

<< This sets up the default locale for glibc to be english, which is
necessary for calls to functions such as wcsupr, which WINE uses
indirectly.

After doing this, there are still some error messages, such as below,
but the program itself seems to be working.

when running WP,
    err: winspool:WINSPOOL_GetStringFromRegA Got ret = 2

when running Presentation,
    err: event:EVENT_ProcessEvent got event ConfiguredNotify for unknow
Window
02000c78

when running Paradox,
    err:shell:SHGetSpecialFolderPathA folder unknown or not allowed

John Kottal