[CLUE-Tech] test message -- please ignore

Lynn Danielson lynnd at ihs.com
Wed Oct 25 09:33:22 MDT 2000

test message from ihs

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:25:01 -0600
To: clue-tech at ta8.techangle.com
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Tech] too many clocks
From: "Timothy C. Klein" <teece at i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net>
Sender: clue-tech-admin at clue.denver.co.us

Roger,

Ever since I set my hardware clock to UTC, my time problems have been much
easier.  I, too run a cron job to update my time from a time server every
night.  If you set the hardware clock to UTC, you have to make sure that your
/etc/timezone file lists the correct time zone, so that system calls to the
kernel clock know how the output the time for humans.

My /etc/timezone on Debian 2.2 reads "US/Mountain" and that is it.  The only
problem with hardware clock set to UTC is if you dual boot -- I don't think
Winblows will understand a hwclock in UTC time.  If you run only Linux, as I
do, set the hwclock to UTC.

Also, I think the kernel only uses the hardware clock on boot up to figure out
what time it is, from there it keeps track of its own time internally.

HTH Tim

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 10:32:11AM +0000, Roger Frank wrote:
> It started when I noticed that the clock icon showed the correct
> minute but the wrong hour.  After investigating this for some time,
> I am more confused than I was.  There is a hardware clock
> on the motherboard and there is a software clock - the system
> clock - and somehow they work with each other.  Somehow
> one of these becomes the time that shows on the screen or
> as the output of `date`.  RIght now it's showing 10:35 but it's
> also very dark outside, so I'm pretty sure it's really 4:35.
>
> Should I be storing UTC in the hardware and/or the system
> clock?  Does anything in Linux care?  I know locate runs at
> 4 AM each morning (because the system slows down appreciably
> when I'm trying to get work done and it clicks over from 3:59).
> And if I store time in UTC, I'd rather have it displayed in local
> time, so scripts that use `date` as timestamps make sense.
>
> I would like this sequence of commands to show the correct local time:
>   # ./netdate -v tcp ntp2.cs.wisc.edu
>   # /sbin/clock -w
>   # date
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Roger Frank
> Ponderosa High School, Colorado

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==