[CLUE-Tech] A few more questions

Roger Frank rfrank at linuxclassroom.org
Wed Sep 6 21:38:08 MDT 2000

CLUE-techies, I could use a little help...

1.  Sometimes, when a student shuts down wrong or such, she cannot
login the next time from the level 5 graphical screen.  It takes the user name
and pasword, but then goes dark and cycles back to the login screen.
It's as if it can't start the desktop.
    If I change /etc/inittab to stop at level 3, I get the usual login prompt
and when I try to start the desktop manually with startx, I get
	xauth: timeout in locking authority file
If I hit control C twice, it will go ahead and start a normal KDE session.
I've searched far and wide for info on this; I've checked file premissions;
I've made sure the directory is writeable.  Any hints would be welcomed.

2.  Another question: Tonight I put together an 800 MHz Thunderbird
Athlon system.  If I load Mandrake 7.0 it reports 800 BogoMIPS at
startup.  But if I load 7.1 it reports 1500 BogoMIPS.  Shouldn't the speed
rating be independent of the software that measures it?

--
Roger Frank
rfrank at linuxclassroom.org