[CLUE-Tech] X display off from console display

matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Fri Sep 29 15:20:45 MDT 2000

I'm just full of questions today... Actually, for the last several weeks
I've been trying to get a used computer assembled, set up with Linux, and
shipped off for use by a complete computer-newbie relative.  I may actually
be able to ship it by tomorrow.

Anyway the monitor is a new ADI Provista E66.  It's being used with a
Diamond Viper 550 (TNT chipset).  It seems to work just fine during the
RH6.2 (KRUD) install (both Viper550 and Provista E66 are selectable).
However, when I do a startx, the Gnome/KDE background doesn't use the entire
screen that the console does.  It doesn't seem to be a matter of just
adjusting the monitor either, because in X there is a faint ghost-like image
in the areas not used by the X display that are used by the console.  For
the most part the X display just doesn't use the last 1 inch of the left
side of the screen, but the console does.  The right side seems to line up
OK between X and the console.  Has anyone seen something like this, or have
a clue as to how to fix it?

-Matt