[CLUE-Tech] Where to put SuSe Portsentry scripts?

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Sun Apr 1 13:23:50 MDT 2001

Kevin,

There are two ways to execute stuff at startup.

1)	Using boot.local, like you are doing.

2)	Using init scripts. Like inetd, httpd, mysqld. This would be
	used for daemons. Typically you would use these for stuff that
	would be started and stopped in an orderly manner when entering
	and exitting different run levels. This is what I used this for
	the qmail stuff that I was busy with.

Either way, the best is to write a simple shell script that calls
invokes port sentry in a file called '/usr/local/bin/myportsentry.sh',
for example:

	--------------------------
	#! /bin/sh
	# This a script that set up my portsentry stuff.

	# Setup environment, etc. (if required)

	# Invoke application, like you would do from command line.

	--------------------------

I don't know the specifics of how port sentry works, but I presume
you already have it working.

Make sure permissions are set to execute:

	chmod +x myportsentry.sh

You should be able to execute this from the command line. Once it is
working, just add the line:

	exec /usr/local/bin/myportsentry.sh

in your boot.local script. You can then test to see whether it has
worked successfully by rebooting.

Match