[CLUE-Tech] Recompiling Kernel: RH V7.0 to fix SCSI (Resolved!)

Jim Intriglia jimintriglia at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:14:35 MDT 2001

Greetings Folks,

Buried up to my eyeballs in the snow up here in Conifer, but that's another
story.

I've spent the last couple of days hacking away at a kernel recompile on a
machine that I fresh-installed RH V7.0. Some quick background:

After installing RH V7.0, I noticed that both my SCSI tape drive and Yamaha
external CD-R/W would generate I/O errors and quit after working for a
while. While the internal Travan NS20 GB has always been flaky, the Yamaha
was solid as a rock under RH Linux V6.2.

Match tipped me off that he had a similar problem, which was fixed by a
kernel recompile with SCSI vendor extensions enabled (thanks Match!). Long
story short - the kernel recompile did fix the problem I was having with the
Yamaha CD-R/W (I/O sense errors during fixating) and I suspect the tape
drive will be OK as well. FYI - My Penguin Computer uses the infamous NCR
53c810 SCSI controller, which requires SCSI modular support to work OK for
some odd reason.

Recompiling the kernel under RH V7.0 was anything but straightforward. You
may have read some about this (kgcc compiler needed instead of gcc V2.96 to
recompile the kernel via Make). In any event, I was able to figure out how
to go about recompiling the kernel using RHV7 distro and sources, based on
info I found all *over the web*. No one document did the trick - all were
lacking in some way or omitted a key piece of info.

In any event, I am in the process of documenting what I did to recompile the
kernel under RH V7.0. If you would like a copy of the procedure, drop me an
email off-list at jimintriglia at yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy. This
would be a good idea if you have never recompiled a kernel before using Red
Hat sources.

best,

JimI.