[CLUE-Tech] secure shell

Roger Frank rfrank at rfrank.net
Tue Apr 17 20:19:29 MDT 2001

I am impressed with secure shell.  To get this to work with
ClarkConnect, I just used a browser to go to 192.168.1.1:81,
port 81 on the gateway's "inside" Ethernet card's IP address
and opened TCP port 22 to the outside world.  Then I
telnet'ed into my ISP account.  From there did a
`ssh rfrank at www.linuxclassroom.org` and once back in,
did a ssh to rfrank at shadow on the inside of the network,
which is where I started.  This means I can get files from
my home machine to my machine at school, and as I
understand it, with good security.  I guess after working
most of the night on a new project for class, I no longer
take that extra time to burn a CD to take in to school.
Spiffy!

Along with ssh came secure copy, and I'm wondering if
I shouldn't just get used to using that even on the inside
of my home network.  Do I really need NFS?  And if it's
all Linux, do I need Samba?  At school I use NIS for logins
and NFS for student directories.  At home I make extensive
use of Samba ('mount -t smbfs...').

Samba, ssh, NFS - they overlap and I guess I'll sort
it out over time with experience.

Thanks Match and others who put me onto ssh.

Roger Frank