[CLUE-Tech] Re:why on earth should linux attempt to become user friendly?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Tue Apr 17 21:56:00 MDT 2001

Cyberclops wrote:

> You don't have to look far to find versions of Linux which aren't user
> friendly.  I would like it user friendly because I don't want to have
> anything to do with M$ or Apple.
>
> Open source shouldn't be synonymous with difficult to use.
>
> Nicholas Perez wrote:
> >
> > RANT_MODE=1;
> > Maybe it is just me, but why on earth should linux attempt to become user
> > friendly? Why should Linux become a Redmond-esque clone, trying to immitate
> > the ui? Personally, I like Linux at the level it is at.

Being user friendly has a number of connotations.  Personally, I'd like
to see an Apple GUI on top of Linux because of the consistency and
simplicity of the UI, but I'm liking the power of the CLI.  Think of it
this way: having a Apple-like GUI gives someone a change to start using
a computer who may be just starting out (and with all of the
reliability, etc.). But if you had the power of Linux underneath, that
person would be able to grow with the system and not be hampered by the
old Mac OS (8 or 9).  Also, a system administrator would love to be able
to administer a Linux OS with a simple GUI for average users, wouldn't
they?

Within two years I would predict that the GUI's for Linux will be at the
level of better ease of use and will be ready for the average user.

The key issue is the potential of migration of users to Linux.  80% of
the computer users DON'T care to know more about the power of Linux
because it does what they need. However, don't limit their potential
experience by NOT making that power available.

Kevin