[CLUE-Tech] DHCP server with firewall..

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Mon Aug 6 16:11:29 MDT 2001

Well, you're down to the bottom of the barrel when I try to answer something
like this.

The assumption seems to be that your firewall rules are blocking your dhcp.
Do you have anything in the logs to show the dhcp traffic getting dropped
(perhaps you can make the firewall log everything that it drops)?  If not, it
may not actually be the firewall.

I don't know much about iptables (going to learn tomorrow).  But your script
seems redundant to me - e.g. you allow dhcp udp packets, but you also allow
anything to the internal broadcast and host addresses.  Ok, maybe that's how
it's supposed to be.

Could it be that your machines are doing dhcp with tcp, rather than udp?  I
don't know how to tell, except that IANA gave tcp ports 67-8 to dhcp (as well
as the udp ports).  Maybe you can add a line for that.

Hope that helps, but I'd be surprised if it did.  Maybe tomorrow I'll know
more.

Dave