[CLUE-Tech] Hack attempt

Gus Huber gus at pbx.org
Mon Aug 6 18:45:40 MDT 2001

One of the easiest ways to detect most hacks is to load a new copy of
'find' and look for files modified after the suspected incident.
Unless the intruder is creative (IE kernel modifications to not
show files, libc replacements, etc) this will probabaly show
up files left by the intruder.  They could also have cleaned
well and changed the times on binarys infected, but if you have
good md5 hashes of your binarys that match you should be fine.

However, most likely the 'hacker' was using one of the many
automated 'cracking tools' that also send DOS attacks.  chances
are your system is fine, and unless it houses 'important data',
the intruder will most likely not return..

	cheers,
		gus huber <gus at pbx.org>
	- some punk kid with a bunch of routers -