[CLUE-Tech] linux & broadband

David Willson DLWillson at TheGeek.NU
Fri Aug 10 09:03:09 MDT 2001

No sir, I am into answering the friggin' question;  it is a more effective
method of promoting Linux, and if by some chance an opportunity arises
within the context of the question to bash a company I hate, I might do
that, but ...

Your answer seemed, and still does seem, to be pure propaganda.  I read it
three times before making my very light criticism.

My unasked-for-advice to anyone attempting to promote Linux is to get
comfortable with the knowledge that most people start out wanting to "add
Linux" to their computing lives, not "break the Windows habit".  Approach
them in a manner consistent with their goals, and you will be very
successful in promoting Linux in their lives.

This fellow is a perfect example.  You may feel that in offering him your
valuable opinion, you are saving him configuration time or wasted effort
with the Windows box and encouraging a more appropriate, to your mind,
configuration; however, he claims to be "new to Linux" and clearly stated
his initial goal.  My impression of the situation is that if he were to
attempt, right now, to set up Linux as a gateway for his Windows box, he
will not only fail, but he will also send up frustrated and Linux will have
become "frustrating" by association.

His self-set goal is reasonable, so rather than pushing him toward a goal
six times as difficult to reach, an effective Linux-promoter, and a helpful
person, will just help him reach it.

Oh, and I'm sorry for sending HTML from Outlook Express last time, and for
enclosing more opinion than information this time.  That last makes me
something of a hypocrite, but I did want to answer the question fully.