[CLUE-Tech] linux & broadband

David Anselmi anselmi at intradenver.net
Fri Aug 10 12:06:15 MDT 2001

Hmmm...

Does your cable modem have an ethernet port on it?  If so, you might get
a hub/switch and plug it, the windows box, and the linux box in together
(they'd all be on the same lan then and the cable modem would be the
only thing doing gateway/routing).

THIS IS PROBABLY NOT VERY SECURE.  But it may be as secure as what you
propose.

You can get a 5 port switch for about $50.  This approach is simpler and
may get you up and running more easily than trying to set up
routing/filtering on either box.

If you are worried about security and don't want to set up the linux box
as a firewall (and can't or won't set up the windows box as a firewall),
you can get a firewall box from Linksys.  It costs about $100-$150 and
comes with 2-4 ports.  People on this list have said it is easy to set
up and it may take the place of a switch for you.

I can't help you do gatewaying on the windows box (is it as easy as
pointing and clicking?)  Brandon's pointer to the IPCHAINS HOW-TO will
get you started if you want to use the linux box as the
gateway/firewall.

Good luck.  Ask if you need more help.  And welcome to Linux!

Dave