[CLUE-Tech] Any Kernel h4x0r5 out there? Panic - Aieee!

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Aug 10 12:14:04 MDT 2001

David Anselmi wrote:

> Seems to me the way to approach this is to set up to get a core dump when
> the kernel panics.  Then you can read through the dump with a debugger to
> see what went wrong.  Alternatively, you might look at recompiling the USB
> and/or scanner drivers and see if there's an option to add debugging output
> from them.  I'd guess that would go in the kernel log and may show you how
> far it gets before the panic.
>
> Unfortunately I've never done the above, so I can't help much beyond that.
> Alan should be able to point you in the right direction though ;-)

Heh. I hand-copied the Oops and fed it through ksymoops. That got the
driver developer to the point of isolating it, sort of. Seems that RH
tweaks the USB code, so he's a little bit stuck. So maybe I need to bug
Rick Bero, instead of AC. Or switch to a distro which uses a standard
kernel. <Sigh> There are times when Linux could do with a little more
standardization.

--
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a
 difference. Free Software developers don't have that problem."